| Examples of Duties:
The duties listed below are intended only as general illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.
- Responds to fire alarms and other emergency calls by driving assigned automotive equipment or fire apparatus to the required location.
- Drives, operates and maintains various types of firefighting and suppression apparatus and equipment, including but not limited to pumping and ladder equipment and ground monitors.
- Performs routine and minor repairs and inspects fire apparatus and equipment.
- Performs in a lead capacity in the implementation of public education programs, fire prevention and code enforcement programs, field inspections, fire inspections, apparatus maintenance and other support services programs.
- Trains personnel in the operation and maintenance of fire apparatus and equipment.
- Reports on equipment maintenance and work operations using a personal computer, or other types of office equipment.
- May perform engineering plan checks and technical inspections of fire and life safety systems.
- Inspects alarm systems and fire control systems to determine compliance with prescribed fire code enforcement standards.
- Maintains skills and knowledge in public safety and firefighting field through study of various fire related procedure manuals, applicable fire codes, and applicable courses.
- Inspects safety violations to determine compliance with the California Fire Code (CFC) during building inspections
| Typical Qualifications:
Education and/or Experience- Candidates must qualify under one of the options listed below:
Option 1 (Promotional): Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for satisfactory job performance. Example combinations include graduation from high school or equivalent; 12 units of fire science, including fire hydraulics, fire apparatus and equipment, and fire prevention or equivalent. Internal applicant must have three (3) years of experience in the fire service; Fire Apparatus Driver/Operator 1A & 1B; and completion of the Sierra Madre Fire Department Acting Engineer Task Book.
Option 2 (Lateral): Any combination of education and experience that has provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for a Fire Engineer. A typical way of obtaining the required qualifications is to possess the equivalent of a high school diploma; valid California driver license with a valid firefighter endorsement: valid EMT, or higher, and CPR certifications; and twelve (12) months of full-time employment at a city, district, industrial, state or federal fire agency serving in the capacity of a Fire Engineer.
NOTE: Candidates with out of state EMT certification will be required to obtain State of California EMT certification at the time of hire.
A high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalency or higher.
License or Certification:
- Possession of a State of California Certified Driver Operator 1A and 1B.
- Possess and maintain a valid American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate or equivalent.
- Possess and maintain a valid National Registry and/or California Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) License or higher.
- Possession of a valid Class A, B or Restrictive Firefighter California driver's license and a satisfactory driving record.
- Candidates not currently employed and separated from fire service longer than 12 months must have successfully passed the CPAT or Biddle physical agility exam prior to appointment. Verification will be required and must be dated within 1 year of application.
RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION PROCESS
Candidates interested in this exciting career opportunity must:
- Complete an original on-line application prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
- Provide copies of the following certifications at time of application (no other resume or certifications will be accepted).
- EMT-Basic or above State & Local Certifications
- Current American Heart Association BLS & ACLS Certification
- Driver Operator 1A and 1B
- California CDL, front and back
- Resume and Cover letter
- Must clearly identify Fire Service experience
The Recruitment process will include:
2021 Fire Engineer Exam Study Material
- City Employment Application (Opt 1 & 2 Candidates) Date: September 27, 2021
- Application Period will close Date: October 10, 2021
- Written Exam (Opt 1 & 2 Candidates) Date: November 4, 2021
- Manipulative Exam (Opt 1 & 2 Candidates) Date: November 22, 2021
- Outside Candidates will have opportunity for practice prior to exam date
- Captain’s Oral Interview (Opt 1 & 2 Candidates)
- Chief’s Oral Interview (Opt 1 & 2 Candidates)
- Background Check (Opt 2 Candidates)
- Fingerprinting (Opt 2 Candidates)
- Psychological Evaluation (Opt 2 Candidates)
- Medical Examination, including drug screening (Opt 2 Candidates)
- IFSTA Pumping Apparatus Driver/Operator Handbook, 3rd Edition
- California DMV Commercial Driver Handbook, 2019-2021